Sustainable Practices at rupalee:
Why are rupalee Ornaments Fair trade, Ethical, Eco-friendly & Sustainable:
Download PDF here
1. Eco-Friendly and Natural Materials:
We have eco-friendly ornaments made from palm leaves, Lak (natural and organic tree sap) and recycled materials such as recycled sweaters, saris and fabrics. Wool ornaments are completely from organic sources or waste Felt wool.
2. Eco-Friendly Packaging:
3. Eco-Friendly Inside:
4. Eco-Friendly Energy:
Handmade- completely handmade without use of any powered machines.
5. Hanging Cording & tassels:
Tassels & Cording on ornaments is handspun handmade, hand spun from cotton within our project.
6. Local Materials:
Made using local materials and are all sourced locally.
7. Handmade Glass Beads:
Bead are 100% glass and handmade in cottage industry setting by artisans.
8. Waste Materials Put to use:
Block Print ornaments are made using the post production was fabric which otherwise would be thrown away because the pieces are too small to be of any other use.
9. Fair Trade with style – Committed to Women Empowerment:
All ornaments are made in rupalee women’s empowerment project in cottage industry setting and all are paid fair wage.
- 10. Education:
The revenue from ornaments funds education for girl child in the villages of India.
- Use of 100% Recycled plastic bags used in all the plastic bags used in packing products.
- Shipping boxes: We have recycled boxes for our shipping needs since 1996. After a shipment was delivered to the museum of Archeology and Anthropology at University of Pennsylvannia in 1998- Susan West, the buyer for the store called up and commented that our shipping look extremely well travelled
- Recylced fabric totes: rupalee uses recycled fabric bags instead of paper shopping bags. The handles of the bags are made from scraps of fabric leftover from production and are braided by rupalee women. The tote itself is made of recycled fabric. So they are all one of a kind.
- Handmade boxes- packaging material, made of recyled paper: The insert boxes used in rupalee packaging are all handmade from recycled paper and boxes are made in home settings.
Energy Efficient Practices at rupalee:
- Years of using energy efficient lightbulb: rupalee offices have uses energy efficient bulbs since 1996. The bulbs used to be 12 dollars each, but we used them, because they were energy efficient.
Eco-Friendly and Earth Friendly Practices at rupalee and Ojasvy:
- Azobenzene free dyes: rupalee has introduced a new high fashion clothing line call Ojasvy. All the dyes used in this line are Azo benzene free. To learn more about azobenzene free dyes Click here.
- Sustainable materials- cotton & silk: Fabrics used in production of rupalee and Ojasvy Clothing line are 100% cotton or silk.
- Handwoven Fabrics
- Handblock Printing
- Handspun Strings and chords and Tassels with no use of electricity and are completely manaul labor.